EU-CONEXUS was created in the framework of the European universities’ initiative. This programme is led by the European Commission and was created to strengthened strategic partnerships across Europe and develop international competitiveness of European universities.
Therefore, the European Commission issued an Erasmus+ call for proposals inviting European universities to create transnational alliances which will become the universities of the future promoting European values and creating the higher education area of tomorrow.
What EU-CONEXUS means
The main goal of the EU-CONEXUS consortium is to implement a brand new idea of European University. It means:
- New inter-disciplinary and international study programs among the members of the consortium;
- Strenghtening international scientific research;
- Creation of common digital libraries;
- Creation of a smart university campus;
- Strengthtening of universities’ competitiveness at national and international level;
- New models of mobility;
- Specialists, able to learn and research the sustainability of urbanised coastal areas, blue growth;
- New international academic activities using professional and innovative methods for the solution of global problems;
- Close cooperation between universities, companies, and municipal authority institutions for joining forces to solve arising regional problems.
What it means to be the part of the European University
Belonging to the European University means new opportunities both for students and academic staff: new inter-disciplinary and international study programs, new models of mobility, common virtual libraries, the idea of a smart university campus are going to be created, scientific research is to be strengthened.
Having created the alliances of European universities, the quality of European higher education will be improved and its attractiveness increased, the internationalization widened and European citizenship strengthened – the mobility of students and lecturers will increase.
It is expected that the first seventeen European universities will become an example to follow for other higher education institutions and will increase the continental universities’ competitiveness and quality of higher education at international level.