International school contest-national final
National final of the THINK SMART, CREATE GREEN international school competition
On Wednesday, April 14, the final national stage for Romania of the THINK SMART, CREATE GREEN International School Competition took place, organized by EU-CONEXUS.
The international competition was dedicated to high-school students who want to become the creators of the future in which we all want to live. The works consisted in presenting the ideas and aspirations about the future of the coastal city that each team chose, in the form of a poster or video. Nationally, students from schools in Bucharest and Ilfov, belonging to two age categories (13-14 years and 14-15 years) entered the competition and submitted their projects online.
Category 13-14 years
- Group 1: Școala Gimnazială Pia Brătianu, team members: Radu Vlad Alexandru, Petrescu Bianca, Andrei Yannis, Popârlan Gabriel și coordonată de profesorul Mircioagă Nectara Elena with the project: Smart recycle bin
- Group 2: Colegiul Național ,,Grigore Moisil”, team members: Balea Andreea-Bianca, Răducanu Maria, Țigău Alexandru, Pasăre Luca-Sebastian and coordinated by professor Ionescu Camelia with the project: Strategies for sustainable development in Mangalia
- Group 3: Scoala gimnaziala “Maria Rosetti”, team members: Greu Ioana Alexandra, Diaconescu Mara Alexandra, Cristea Miriam, Costinea Maria Ștefania and coordinated by professor Tufaru Aurora-Roxana with the project: Great expectations
- Group 4: Școala Gimnazială Nr.195, team members: Burcea Victor-Mihai, Ciobanu Carmen-Teodora, Hoffman Ingrid, Chiriță Vlad-Gabriel and coordinated by professor Vlădan Maria with the project: Think smart, create green
- Group 5: Școala Gimnazială Nr.116, team members: Radu Yasminne Denisa, Giogu Teodora Yvonne, Ioan Sebastian, Băduț Alexandru and coordinated by professor Damean Nicoleta with the project: Think green, act green
- Group 6: Ita Wegman Bilingual Theoretical High School, team members: Bebu Matei, Pantilimonescu Catrinel, Soleymani-Khan Daria, Neculcea Melina and coordinated by professor Cristache Ileana with the project: Giving a life after life
- Group 7: Ita Wegman Bilingual Theoretical High School, team members: Miron Matei, Voicu Maria Teodora, Vasilescu Clara, Antemia Anes and coordinated by professor Cristache Ileana with the project: The new Eforie
- Group 8: Colegiul Național ”Gheorghe Lazăr”, team members: Negre Briana-Maria, Coțofană Ioana, Lamasz Ana-Sofia, Ștefan Catrina-Maria and coordinated by professor Gheorghiu Dorina with the project: Constanța city of the ecological future
Category 14-15 years
- Group 1: Liceul Teoretic “Dante Alighieri”, team members: Chiarelli Giuseppe, Duica Cristina Andreea, Ion Roxana Daniela, Urzica Ilinca Teodora and coordinated by professor Cojoc Gabriel Decebal with the project: Finbin-easy recycling
- Group 2: Ita Wegman Bilingual Theoretical High School, team members: Pop Andreea Miruna, Stoica Iuliana, Gârleanu Nicoleta Karina, Crăciun Cristiana Daniela and coordinated by professor Ileana with the project: The smart Urban Coastal sustainability: Mangalia Area
- Group 3: Colegiul Național “Matei Basarab”, team members: Asadollahi Sarina, Serafim Mario Cristian, Pamacai Andrei Filip, Cojocaru Maria Alexandra and coordinated by professor Petre Florin-Bogdan with the project: Mangalia city
- Group 4: Colegiul Național Gheorghe Lazar, team members: Bechi Yasmine Cristina, Nicorici Irina, Mocanu Eva, Ciobanu Mara Elena and coordinated by professor Petre Florin-Bogdan with the project: Raising awarness on coastal cities
- Group 5: Colegiul Național ”Grigore Moisil”, team members: Gușiță Mihnea Costin, Iacobescu Ruxandra Maria, Feraru Rareș Sebastian, Forsea Sergiu Gabriel and coordinated by professor Costeniuc Iuliana with the project: Coastal Area Techirghiol.
The judging commission from the Technical University of Civil Engineering Bucharest was formed by
- Maria Goga, professor UTCB
- Cristiana Croitoru, professor UTCB
- Alina Kasprovschi, Fundația Comunitară București
- Ioana Teodorescu, EU-CONEXUS
- Catalina Neagoe, Student board UTCB & EU-CONEXUS
The Commission awarded the first scores according to criteria that analyse the quality of the work, compliance with established rules, creativity and originality, how the sustainable development of the environment was approached in the project, the ability to present the project in English (fluency and clarity). All teams went to the next stage of English project presentation in front of the jury for a maximum of 10 minutes. The event took place online, and the latest scores were given depending on how they were presented.
All the projects in the competition were creative, the high-school students made a consistent effort to achieve them and enjoyed the process they went through. The scores were very close, but the winners were:
- for the age category 13-14 the project “Strategies for sustainable development in Mangalia”
- for the age category 14-15 years the project “Coastal Area Techirghiol”
The winning teams, one for each age category, will move on to the international stage, where they will have to submit their projects to an EU-CONEXUS international jury, consisting of one member from each EU-CONEXUS partner country and others.
The competition ends with numerous prizes: at national level students will receive certificates of participation and sustainable gifts EU-CONEXUS and internationally a trip to an EU-CONEXUS city or Brussels (Belgium), with a guided visit to the European Parliament, depending on the age category.
Fingers crossed for the Romanian teams to win the final international stage!